A Year in Review

google+images

Ramineni, Aadhyasri

google images

Rose Joffe '21, News Editor

Total Lunar Eclipse

The year started with a total lunar eclipse on January 30th. Also referred to as a ‘super blood blue moon’, this was the first total lunar eclipse since 1983.

Winter Olympics

In February, The Winter Olympics were held in Pyongyang, South Korea. The U.S won a total of 23 medals (9 of them gold.

Parkland Shooting

On February 14, the deadliest shooting occurred in an American High School when 17 people were killed and 17 injured at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland Florida. This reenergized the gun- control movement and initiated gun control protests such as the ‘March for our Lives” protest in Washington D.C, where nearly 800,000 people marched in support of better gun-control laws.

Royal Wedding

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were married at St. George’s chapel as 1.9 billion people watched in June. Their engagement was celebrated for many reasons; Meghan is American, biracial, Catholic, divorced, and is an outspoken advocate for women’s rights as well as involved in humanitarian organizations. Their union became a symbol for the modernization of the monarchy.

Legalization of Marijuana for Recreational Use in Canada

Canada became the first industrialized nation to legalize marijuana for recreational use on October 17. According to Justin Trudeau, the goal of legalization is to limit minor’s access to marijuana and keep illegal drug distributors from profiting from it.

Women are Given the Right to Drive in Saudi Arabia

Saudi Arabia legalizes women’s driving under Prince Mohammed Bin Salman. Prior to this, women were forced to either pay for drivers or find a male relative willing to drive them. Women’s driving restrictions have been protested since 1990, and for this law to be passed is monumental.

Cave Rescue of Thai Soccer Team

On June 23, a Thai soccer team decided to explore a cave after soccer practice but when they tried to leave they learned that the entrance had flooded due to a torrential downpour. They remained trapped in the cave for 17 days and survived by drinking water droplets off of stalactites. Navy Seals helped save the boys and their coach in a complicated 3 day rescue. Although the entire team survived, a Navy Seal died trying to get them to safety. The boys, whose ages ranged from 11-17 made a full recovery.

California Wildfires

3 wildfires in California burned 1,890,438 acres of land, destroying thousands of homes and displacing hundreds of thousands.

Notable Deaths in 2018

Paul Allen

Senator John McCain

Anthony Bourdain

Mac Miller

Aretha Franklin

Kate Spade

Barbara Bush

Winnie Mandela

George Bush

Steven Hawking