Interview with RT Adkins

Wynton Jackson, Sports Editor, '21

For senior forward RT Adkins, winning is an expectation. He’s found success at all levels from middle school, to AAU, and most recently after finishing his basketball career at Cincinnati Country Day. Last week, Adkins committed to Heidelberg University, a reputable and successful program coming off a 9-3 season. His drive and the school’s status make them a perfect match.

Throughout his time at CCD, Adkins has played and excelled at a multitude of sports, but basketball has always been his main focus: “I remember when I was maybe 6 or 7 I watched this documentary. It was called ‘More Than A Game.’ This documentary was about LeBron James and his rise to stardom. Since I watched that I just fell in love with the game of basketball and I have since.”

Adkins’ love for the game definitely reflected in his stats and accolades. He finished the year averaging 15.8 points, 11 rebounds, and shooting nearly 50% from the field. The last two years he made the Miami Valley Conference First Team and was a contender for conference Player of the Year. He also made the Cincinnati District 16 First Team and is playing in the city All-Star game.

On the court, Adkins is a problem for any opponent. The 6-foot-3 inch forward utilizes his length and leaping ability to his advantage, able to consistently fire off clean jump shots while getting to the rim at will. His only problem, which Adkins admits himself, is his decision making.

“I think too much. Especially in terms of knowing my role as a scorer I think I sometimes can’t decide whether I should look to score or try to find and open man. [That mental lapse] hinders my ability to do both.”

Head coach Greg Ross had glowing remarks about the young star: “RT is a phenomenal athlete who is a tremendous rebounder and tough to guard in the open court. His mid-range jump shot is as good as I have seen. RT will be able to fit in right away at the collegiate level and compete for playing time immediately.” Ross has coached at CCD for 20 years and has seen a multitude of athletes succeed at the next level, so an endorsement from him is as good as any.

Adkins will need his full skillset to help the Student Knights to another successful season. Heidelberg’s starting guard Dylan Woods – an alumnus of Cincinnati Christian School – led the team with 17.4 points in his final season. Adkins deeply believes he can contribute, despite being a freshman: “I plan to come in and play my role. I have always believed that if I work hard and do what is needed of me, it will translate to wins. I also believe that I can dominate as a freshman, so I will be looking to do that as well.”

Of course, basketball isn’t everything for Adkins. A student first, he chose Heidelberg for its renowned therapy and chiropractic education field. After college, he hopes to find a career enabling him to provide for his family.