The Student News Site of Cincinnati Country Day School

The Scroll

Six Country Day Athletes Commit on National Signing Day

Hailey Spaeth

By Myles Jackson ’17, Sports Editor

February 1 was the first signing day of 2017, signaling the commitments of high school student-athletes from around the nation. Signing Day is so recognized around the country because it is a step up from verbal commitments, which can be renounced. Countless hours of studying, training, and hard work have led up to this moment for signees all throughout the country, when they will finally make a commitment to play their respective sport for a university. These signees will not only shape the future of college athletics that we all know and love to watch and support but will also change the world with their intellect and dedication. The process of finding the right fit for college is not an easy, or short one. Students must find a place that will be their home away from home for the next four years. The process is even more tedious and stressful for student-athletes because they are tasked to find all the characteristics in their perfect school, as well characteristics of a great athletic program. From finding the right coaches and other players, to finding a good balance between schoolwork and athletic commitments, to even good athletic facilities like locker rooms, deciding on an institution to continue one’s athletic and academic career is a very tough and important responsibility. Additionally, the prospect of playing a college sport, regardless of the division or level of competitiveness, comes with an insanely large time commitment. During the season, many students spend their whole days training, practicing, and studying. College athletes are some of the most competitive, dedicated, and responsible people in the country because of the huge load of work on and off the field they have to carry.

Despite these enormous challenges, six members of the Country Day class of 2017 have recently committed to a university. Olivia Robinson, Olivia Brown, Natalie Choo, Ian McInturf, and Matt Scheper, and Ronnie Allen picked up the pen on the first of the month to announce their binding commitment to college athletics. For women’s soccer, Robinson has committed to Denison University, Brown has committed to the University of Dayton, and Choo has committed to Washington and Lee University. For men’s soccer, McInturf has committed to Kenyon College, and Scheper has committed to Capital University. Finally, for baseball, Allen has committed to Wabash Valley College. With their families (and Athletic Director Chris Milmoe) by their side, they all sat in the library in front of their beloved peers and teachers to sign their names. It’s hard to imagine the same people we played alongside or pass in the halls each day are being recognized for such amazing achievements.

The signees all represent what it means to be a Country Day athlete, and we are all happy they had such successful careers wearing blue and white. We wish good luck to the signees as they continue their athletic and academic careers in college!