The Student News Site of Cincinnati Country Day School

The Scroll

Ways to Give Back This Thanksgiving

Margaret Hodson

By Margaret Hodson ’16, News Editor

With the delicious smell of roasted turkey, the chatter of friends and family, and the excitement of Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, sometimes it can be easy to lose sight of what Thanksgiving is really about—giving thanks. As Dr. Macrae remarked before the Turkey Train last Friday, our community is blessed to be in a position to help others. This makes Thanksgiving a fantastic opportunity to help those in need and give back to the community. From running a marathon to donating to charity, there are many ways to make a difference this Thanksgiving.

1. Run in the Thanksgiving Day Race                                         

What better way to mitigate the guilt of feasting on Thanksgiving than by running (or walking) a 10k?! The Thanksgiving Day Race, a tradition for many Cincinnatians, celebrates its 104th anniversary this year. It is the oldest road race in the Midwest region, and the sixth oldest race in America. The proceeds benefit many charities including Neediest Kids of All and the Barrett Cancer Center. The race starts at 9:00 Thanksgiving morning at Paul Brown Stadium in downtown Cincinnati. There is still time to sign up, as late registration is open until 7:30 pm on Tuesday the 26th.

2. Serve Food at a Soup Kitchen

There are many charitable organizations and soup kitchens which provide Thanksgiving meals for families in need. Oftentimes, these charities are looking for volunteers to serve food, wash dishes, or clean tables. Some places to volunteer in Cincinnati are St. Francis Seraph Soup Kitchen, the Over-The-Rhine Kitchen, the Walnut Hills Kitchen, the Freestore Foodbank, or Little Brothers—Friends of the Elderly.

3.  Raise MoneyA box full of canned and packaged foodstuff for a charity food donation drive. Isolated on white with reflection. with Family or Friends

Thanksgiving dinner brings family and friends together to feast, celebrate, and give thanks. It is also a great opportunity for families to come together and donate to a charity without leaving the house.  The host of Thanksgiving dinner could host a canned food or clothing drive to benefit local charities. This way, dinner guests can do good in the community without leaving the house!

Overall, there are numerous ways to help out the less fortunate this Thanksgiving. While lending a hand to those in need, don’t forget to be thankful for the many blessings in your own life.

Sources:

Credit.com. 5 Things You Need to Know About Donations. Digital image. The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 30 Nov. 2012. Web. 23 Nov. 2013.

“Places to Volunteer During Thanksgiving.” The Buzz 1230 AM RSS. Ionemcurley, 19 Nov. 2009. Web. 23 Nov. 2013.

http://www.overtherhinekitchen.org/

http://www.sfsministries.org/contact-us/

http://www.thanksgivingdayrace.com/