Girls Soccer: State Champions

Jay Bhati, News Editor

Girls Soccer: State Champion

Jay Bhati ’20, Sports Editor

The Cincinnati Country Day Girl’s Soccer team has won the State Tournament for the 2018-2019 season. Now I could say it was an improbable run, but I would be lying to you. The girls soccer team came into the season only losing three seniors, so the majority of their lineup was returning. This would prove key to their run late in the season when experience helps tremendously. The season was highlighted with undefeated conference play, and a huge win against Summit finishing the regular season 13-2 only losing two games against Wyoming and Taylor who are dominating programs out of conference. The team only lost to these programs by a difference of 3 goals total. The defense highlighted by seniors

Jane Reiring, Alexandra Pohl, Katelynn Setters, Emily Ram and junior goalie Lilly Reisenfeld only let up 11 goals for the entirety of the regular season, 1 goal in the post season. They were nothing less of dominating on the back end. However, the front end did not lack either led by junior strikers Katie Brock and Lawson Renie who both came to play during the post season. CCD was a very balanced team with depth in multiple positions. The team was also lucky to not have to need to use that depth as they were not riddled with injury; the only notable injury was to defensive back Katelynn Setters who went down in the middle of the season but was able to make a comeback for the playoffs.

The Indians attacked the playoffs the same way they did the regular season, playing very good complimentary soccer. Outscoring opponents 43-1 and achieving 6 shutouts in 7 games played, there was nothing their opponents could do. This course was all too similar to the team as they also went on a very good run in the 2016 season where they were able to get to the state championship, but sadly they came up short in a 2-1 overtime loss to Gilmour Academy. The seniors and juniors of the 2018 team remember it all too well, and made it a point of emphasis to not forget that loss. Junior Striker Lawson Rennie said that “Last time I think we were a little too excited and surprised that we had got there, which ended up being costly. This year is different; we’ve already been there once and we know what the feeling is like to lose so we are going to use that to fuel our play.” Lawson was right, but the past was not the only thing that was used to fuel the team. Goalie Lilly Reisenfeld also added on, saying “We saw the trash talking coming from Kirtland and we kept our mouths shut because we wanted our actions on the field to speak for us and they really just helped us get focused and made us want to prove that we deserved to be there. I think we did which is seen by the result of the game.” The team was overcome with joy when the clock hit zero, and as for the juniors and seniors, the bad taste from the loss of 2016 was finally repaid. Even after the season ended the team was still making strides with multiple players being recognized by their fellow players statewide as starters Chloe Webb, Katie Brock, Katelynn Setters, and Jane Reiring all received 1st team all city recognitions, just to highlight a few. The Country Day Indians 2018-2019 girls soccer team was nothing short of dominant and it was an awesome ride for everyone involved from the parents, to the coaches and players, to the famed Country Day student section: it was an amazing experience capped off by a huge win in Columbus. The season was built on hard work and determination and it paid off. The Indians team will have to rebuild, and we wish the best of luck to the seniors that are off to college after putting 4 years of hard work into their team and we are thankful to the impact they made.

All other pics: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/high-school/ohio-high-school/2018/11/09/ccd-wins-state-championship/1932992002/

First and last pic : Hirsch twitter