The Scroll

“America’s Dad” Sentenced to 3-10 Years in State Prison

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mandatory Credit: Photo by Matt Slocum/AP/REX/Shutterstock (9894344s)
Bill Cosby arrives for his sentencing hearing at the Montgomery County Courthouse, in Norristown, Pa
Bill Cosby, Norristown, USA - 25 Sep 2018

Mandatory Credit: Photo by Matt Slocum/AP/REX/Shutterstock (9894344s) Bill Cosby arrives for his sentencing hearing at the Montgomery County Courthouse, in Norristown, Pa Bill Cosby, Norristown, USA - 25 Sep 2018

Matt Slocum/AP/REX/Shutterstock

Matt Slocum/AP/REX/Shutterstock

Matt Slocum/AP/REX/Shutterstock

Cole Harten ’22, Contributor

A once beloved comedy icon, Bill Cosby, star of The Cosby Show, has today taken a sharp plunge from his position as “America’s Dad.” Cosby, 81, still captivates the spotlight and headlines but for a very different reason, a much more nefarious reason.

On September 25, 2018, the former stand-up comedian and actor, Bill Cosby, was sentenced to 3-10 years in state prison for the drugging and rape of several women. The prosecutors declared Cosby to be “still a danger to women and the community at large.” During the ruling, Judge O’Neil said, “that no one is above the law, and no one should be treated differently or disproportionally.”

One of his accusers, Lili Bernard, spoke joyfully about this verdict, even going so far as to call it a “hallelujah moment.” Lili Bernard, a former actress on The Cosby Show, spoke scornfully about Cosby saying that “He praised me … He lifted me up. I believed him. After all, he was Bill Cosby.” This sentiment was shared by her fellow accuser, Sammy Mays.

The prosecutor of the Cosby case echoed Ms. Bernard’s comments saying that Cosby “hid behind his character, Cliff Huxtable. But that was fiction.” The fictitious nature of Cosby’s kind, good-hearted character, Cliff Huxtable, is unbearably real for the sixty women who allege that Cosby sexually assaulted them. The attorney who represented many of Cosby’s accusers, Gloria Allred, called the sentencing a “just outcome” and said that “judgement day has come.”

Cosby’s defense had a very different opinion regarding the case, saying, “I believe and think it is important to point out that this has been the most racist and sexist trial in the history of the United States.” Cosby’s publicist, Andrew Wyatt, went so far as to allege that the women who accused Cosby fabricated their accusations for the sole purpose of profiting, calling them “white women who make money off of accusing black men of being sexual predators.” In an attempt to politicize the ruling, Andrew Wyatt likened Cosby to Jesus saying “[t]hey persecuted Jesus and look what happened.” However, as any of his accusers could tell you, Bill Cosby is no Jesus.