National Security and Intelligence Program

Helen Kovach, Contributor

National Security and Intelligence in Washington DC

Helen Kovach ’19, Contributor

Over the summer I participated in a National Security and Intelligence program at American University, through the National Student Leadership Conference (NSLC). Through the NSLC, there are a myriad of programs: Business, Government & Law, STEM, Leadership, Performance, and Design & Media Arts. And there are programs across the country hosted by many different colleges. Each program is at least 6 days, but some are longer, depending on the program.

During a program, not only do you learn about your interest in study, but you also learn leadership skills. Through NSLC, I learned a lot about myself as a leader and how to work with others. The National Security and Intelligence program revolved around a simulation of acting as the National Security Council. Before our simulation started, we broke into groups, based on which department we were: Department of Defense, Department of Energy, Department of Homeland Security, etc. Afterwards, they acted like we were going to our next class, but then we had our crisis. Each group had a different crisis. While some groups started the same, throughout the days of the simulation we all had different curve balls and reached different outcomes.

While the program focused on the simulation, we also had special guests speak (Vice Chairman of the Joint Chief of Staffs, General Selva), some classes (some focused on leadership, some on intelligence), and sight-seeing. Some of the highlights were visiting the Pentagon, Capitol Hill, National Security Agency, and the monuments at night. Visiting the Pentagon was definitely one of the best moments. My favorite story was of the hotdog stand at the center of the Pentagon. Because of its convenience, many people ate there for lunch. Russia’s satellite picked up that 1,000s of people congregated at the center each day around the same time. They assumed it was a top-secret place, but it was simply just people eating. It went so far that the hotdog stand put a bull’s eye on top and had a “eat at your own risk” sign.

We had a unique experience with the Washington Monuments at night. For that day, the plan was to have class, visit the Pentagon and Capitol Hill, return for classes, dinner, and then go out and see the monuments at night. But it didn’t go as planned. While we were at the Pentagon and Capitol Hill, American University went on lock-down because of a report of an armed intruder. Due to the lock-down, we were free to explore the mall by the Pentagon, and then were able to explore Georgetown. While Washington at night turning into Washington all day was not planned, it was still a very fun day and a memorable experience.

This program is for high school students with at least a ‘B’ average. I would recommend this to anyone and everyone. Through the program, you can explore your interests, see a campus, make new friends, and learn about yourself (as a leader and more).

This link leads you to the NSLC website with the programs: https://www.nslcleaders.org/youth-leadership-programs/