The 2018 Rowing Season

By Christian Page ’21, Contributor

The rowing team has faired well under the unruly weather conditions Cincinnati has been faced with this season and is looking at a strong team for the coming year. In years past, the team has been able to row for the two weeks before spring break on the water. This year, the Ohio river experienced unusual flooding that lasted well into April. This led to the team having half the normal practices due to unrowable conditions on the river. The team normally practices four out of the five days of practice per week on the water, and one conditioning day spent erging and running. However, most practices have been spent conditioning rather than improving on-the-water experience. This has been extremely frustrating for the rowers, the team is hoping for a strong 2019 season.

The team is comprised of all juniors and underclassmen, meaning that no rowers will be leaving in the coming year. In particular, juniors Andy Osborn and Sean Stewart are looking great. This last weekend they qualified for scholastic nationals and will be traveling to New Jersey to compete on May 27. The women’s team is turning up the heat as well, with freshman Celie Hudson and Molly Taylor looking to compete in a women’s lightweight double next year. The women’s varsity quad, having acquired a new freshman, is looking at a strong 2019 season after bonding and learning each other’s styles on the water this season. Doubles Sam Jaccaci ’19 and Christian Page ’21, as well as Daniel Belpario ‘20 and Gavin Cereck ‘20 have high hopes for next year.