The Scroll

New Makeup Trends, and The Brand That Helped Start It All

By Rose Joffe ’21, Contributor

Glossier, a line of cosmetics founded in 2014, has become an internet sensation, and has brought a new perspective on makeup itself. Usually when we think of makeup, we think of layers of product designed to hide or mask one’s imperfections: concealer, foundation, powder, and mascara. They hide blemishes, highlight those areas where we may fall short, and minimize those features we fear exaggerated. Rather than change who you are or fundamentally transform what you fundamentally look like, Glossier has instead built its brand and reputation around accentuating one’s personal features with natural products. In the mere four years Glossier has existed, it has developed a cult following that continues to grow.

Before Emily Weiss founded Glossier, she worked her way through the fashion industry. A letter she wrote to Vogue in 7th grade in response to an editorial she had read, was published by the magazine. At age 15, Weiss stumbled upon an internship at Ralph Lauren, marking the beginning of her early career in the fashion industry. Since then, Weiss has had a variety of high caliber jobs in the industry. Recently placed on the Forbes “30 under 30” list, Weiss found a passion for writing about beauty products at a young age and pursued her interest. Starting with an article she wrote on the Vogue website about a self-tanner recommended to her by supermodel Doutzen Kroes, Weiss soon launched a blog about cosmetics, which became known as ‘Into the Gloss’.

Weiss used the connections she gained working at companies like Vogue to interview beauty editors and models, take photos of their products, and blog in detail about beauty habits. ‘Into the Gloss’ soon became successful, prompting Weiss to start a makeup brand of her own. Glossier launched in 2014, initially with just four products. Effectively using the power of social media, Glossier has since grown its brand immensely, and now has over 25 products in its portfolio. In addition, Weiss has since raised more than $30 million to help Glossier grow and expand.

When asked in an interview with Business Insider about how Glossier’s adoring supporters and success were obtained, Weiss simply replied, “Brand is really, really important. It’s kind of everything.” Glossier is known for its millennial pink packaging, patterned stickers, and now-famous bubble-wrap pouches. Glossier’s Instagram, which recently hit over one million followers, is filled with carefully curated images of women of all shapes, colors, and sizes with dewy, glowy, and illuminated skin. Glossier’s recent launch of their new perfume, toner and crème eyeshadow have further popularized the brand. Moreover, with celebrities such as Beyoncé, Saoirse Ronan, Taraji Henson, Tracee Ellis Ross, and Gabrielle Union sporting Glossier to multiple red carpets and events, the ‘runway’ ahead of Glossier’s growth looks unstoppable. Even Kim Kardashian posted a picture of Glossier milky jelly cleanser, captioning the post “current obsessions”. Glossier’s 2017 launch of a body lotion named Body Hero celebrated body-positivity, and featured women of all sizes in the campaign. From their Balmdotcom to their cloud paint, Glossier has something for everyone. With its broad appeal and savvy social media presence, Glossier is certainly a brand to watch.