2017 Diwali Celebration

By: Aadhyda Ramineni ’20, A&E Section Editor 

It’s that time of year again—Diwali time! Diwali, the festival of lights, is the most widely celebrated Hindu Festival. People across the world light candles and diyas (small oil lamps) on Diwali. The light symbolizes the presence of virtue even in times of darkness and that good will always win over evil.

On Thursday, October 4th, the Cincinnati Country Day community came together to celebrate Diwali. The attendance went up from last year’s four hundred to over five hundred attendees. Although this year was Country Day’s second Diwali celebration, it feels like a centuries old tradition thanks to the community’s enthusiasm. The event began with performances in Keeler, followed by dinner, and lastly fireworks in the amphitheater.

Performances:

Our MC’s were once again Manav Patel ’20 and Jay Bhati ’20. Talented third grader Shashti Subramaniam started the program with an eloquent classical dance performance. She performed a solo dance in Bharatanatyam, a classical South Indian dance form.

Following our young dance star, we had a skit enacted by lower school students. The skit brought to light the significance of Diwali and was written by a CCD parent.

Next, Gauri Midha ’21 performed a graceful solo Kathak (classical North Indian) dance performance. Following Gauri’s dance were her little dance disciples. Gauri choreographed a Bollywood dance with preschool students who were adorable on stage.

Middle school and lower school students collaborated on the next uplifting dance performance. At the end of their performance two lower school students danced to “Kala Chasma”, a Hindi song that translates to “sunglasses”, so of course the kids wore sunglasses.

The faculty fashion organized by myself was next. Manav Midha ’19 and I were the MCs. Twenty teachers and faculty members from the lower, middle, and upper school showed off various styles of Indian clothes. The faculty truly enjoyed dancing to the Bollywood music and simply being a part of the celebration. The audience enjoyed it as well.  

Our grand finale was a festive dance by upper school students choreographed by Sachi Bhati ‘18. They danced to A.R. Rahman’s well renowned song, “Jai Ho”. The students performed their dance twice in the spirit of Diwali. Then all the performers came out and bowed—the Indian way with their palms together in namaskar.   

Then everyone had delicious food from New Krishna. Students and teachers tried Gulab Jamun for the first time, and were shocked by how incredibly sweet this Indian desert is. People could also try on sarees, get henna done, or buy Indian clothing and jewelry for themselves.

Although it had rained earlier that day, nothing would stop us from lighting fireworks to end the celebration. So, we went outside into the dark night and as we sat in the amphitheater watching the fireworks, we were reminded that even in times of darkness there is virtue, there is light. 

Overall, our Diwali celebration was a huge success thanks to parents, students, and faculty who worked hard to make it an amazing experience. I am thankful that our school is embracing diversity by celebrating festivals from around the world. Through celebrations of culture, such as Diwali, Country Day is becoming a more unified and globally aware place.