WALK THE MOON to Return With a New Album

By Ruth Kramer ’18, Editor-In-Chief

WALK THE MOON is one of the most influential indie-pop bands of our age. And they’re back in the music game with their highly anticipated album What if Nothing, which hits shelves November 10th. After the initial success of their first self-titled album in 2012, WALK THE MOON returned in 2014 with their sophomore album Talking is Hard, which included the smash hits “Shut Up and Dance” as well as “Different Colors”. Band members Nick Petricca (vocals), Kevin Ray (bass), Eli Maiman (guitar), and Sean Waugaman  (drums) are excited to release their first album in over three years and have been working diligently writing new songs and performing fan favorites at concerts all across the world.

In the anticipation of their new album, WALK THE MOON has released four singles from the album, the most popular being One Foot. This song has a great beat to it and brings the listener in, reinforcing the slightly techno-indie style that brought WALK THE MOON into the mainstream. With its high energy and enticing lyrics, WALK THE MOON delivers to the three year hype. The main message being to “put one foot in front of the other” is complimented with beautiful backing vocals as well as a strong melody. Through emphasized repetition of being “the king of nothing at all” WALK THE MOON also stays true to their core: that they’re just four Ohio boys who are just taking life “one step at a time” and are watching out for their friends and their romantic partners. Just as time has aged these band members, it has also aged their music, bringing meaningful maturity to their lyrics and sound, while also staying true to their colorful core.

WALK THE MOON also released three other singles, titled Kamikaze, Headphones, and Surrender. Kamikaze starts with a more acoustic sound and rustic vocals from Petricca. However, as the song progresses it becomes more hardcore with a solid drum beat and brings the audience into the kamikaze that Petricca describes. Through abrupt and intentional pauses in sound, listeners feel the confusion and heartache of Kamikaze. Headphones is a rock-hard beat that makes listeners want to get up and dance. More on the rock n’ roll side for WALK THE MOON, it is a song all of its own while also channeling pop-punk bands such as Green Day and Blink-182 in the early 2000s. If you’re looking for a song to sing and shout to, Headphones is definitely for you. Lastly, there is Surrender. A song that begins soft and with a familiar beat like those seen on Talking is HardSurrender is by far the most emotional of the four singles. Full of longing and heartache, Petricca’s voice is rich in emotion and sorrow. With all four singles together, listeners are taken on a while journey of confidence and risk while also feeling the lows and hardships in life.

If these four singles are any indication of WALK THE MOON’s junior album, then the record is sure to be a hit. With their previous success and their increased experience as songwriters and performers, WALK THE MOON is on track to become one of the strongest and most well-known indie bands in pop culture. Hopefully their album will live up to the hype and bring fans the enjoyment, color, and content nostalgia as previous albums have done in the past. Be sure to check out WALK THE MOON’s new album What If Nothing on November 10th.