The Student News Site of Cincinnati Country Day School

The Scroll

2017 Homecoming Review

By Gauri Midha ’21, Contributor

School dances can be entertaining, but you never really know if you’re going to enjoy them until you’re there. Although there may be food and a lot of dancing, is Homecoming actually worth all the money and time?

On September 23rd 2017, CCDS held the annual Homecoming dance at Raffel’s Blue Ash Banquet Center. I think most people will agree when I say that the venue was smaller than expected. Although not everyone from each grade went, there were still a lot of students in attendance. In fact, the freshman class had the highest attendance rate: 94%!

I think the venue could have had more decorations to fit the theme. There were a couple balloons and SpongeBob banners, but overall there wasn’t much relating to the “Nautical Nonsense” theme. Perhaps with a better theme, an incorporation of more decorations would have been possible.

If someone wasn’t dancing, there wasn’t much for them to do. This may seem ironic, being that it is a dance, but the venue was small so there wasn’t even a place quiet enough for people to talk to their friends. I think the dance could have had something else to do, like a photo booth. I know I enjoy taking pictures with my friends to keep as a memory from these kinds of events, but that was something that wasn’t achieved at this homecoming.

The food at the dance was good. There were mostly unhealthy snacks that got people hyper and in the mood to dance. Although the drinks were being served, people still managed to make a mess by knocking over semi-filled cups on the dance floor. Not to mention, every time people were thirsty they would go back and get more drinks, forgetting about their previously used cups, effectively wasting both cups and drinks, while simultaneously contributing to the sticky texture of the dance floor.

The DJ at the homecoming dance was called DJ Drowsy. Overall, he played good music but it was kind of a bummer that he didn’t take any song suggestions. I didn’t like that there was only one slow-song during the entire dance. Beyond that, the DJ didn’t even announce it or play whole song. Even still, I thought that he played good music that was enjoyable for most people.

Overall, this being my first time at the homecoming dance, I enjoyed it. Although there were many aspects of it that could have been better, it was still a fun night. The music and food were good and it was great seeing everyone dancing and having a good time with their friends. It could have been your first or last homecoming, but the experience was great for everyone.