The Student News Site of Cincinnati Country Day School

The Scroll

How to Survive the Infamous Country Day Exam Week

Ruth Kramer

By Ruth Kramer ’18, Co-Editor-In-Chief

Ah, exam week. The one week where there is actual quiet in the halls of Country Day. In sweatpants and an anxious state, students curl around corners and they simply study, study, study. While to many, these five days are the epitome of evil, exam week isn’t that bad if you know how to manage it. So, my fellow crammers, here is a step-by-step guide to help you not only survive, but thrive during perhaps the hardest week of your whole life.

First of all, get your study materials together. I’m talking every single piece of paper you never thought you’d need again. I’m looking at you, students of History Department Chair Merle Black. While it may seem overwhelming to gather hundreds of pieces of paper in a week, it’s not as bad as it sounds. The task of getting all of your study materials together is tedious to start off with, but you’ll be so glad you had them. You never know, maybe that one piece of information everyone else threw away will be an extra credit question.

Secondly, make a schedule. My freshman year, I googled “exam study template” and there are more hundreds of options for breaking down studying by the half hour. Ever since, I’ve made a schedule that kept me organized, moving, and faithful to my studying. In this schedule, make sure you’re realistic and give yourself some breaks. Take 15 minutes every hour to take a breath and regroup. Having a study timetable not only keeps you organized, it also keeps you sane. And during exam week, that’s quite a rarity.

Thirdly, actually study. The above statement about making a schedule does no good if you don’t stick to it and study. Studying and reviewing is one of the hardest parts about school; you have to rely on yourself to get the job done and to be honest, after a while studying gets boring. So, do whatever you have to do to study until you can’t study anymore. Every time you read a chapter, give yourself a cookie. Every time you answer your Quizlet questions right, listen to your favorite song. Make it fun. Well at least, make it bearable. Also, remember what you’re working for: your first A on a math exam or your best exam grades for your final set of midterms. Lastly, remember that exam week is probably not the best time to search every possible video on YouTube that has to do with the multifarious uses for cookie trays. I guarantee you, it will not help you on a biology exam.

Fourthly, take the dreaded exam. This is probably the easiest part. At this point there is nothing else to do except brave AP US History teacher Dr. Marygrace Tyrrell’s exam with hope (and acceptance) and just get the test over with. Make sure to carefully read the questions and not to go too fast (believe me, it haunts you) and, not to sound like every teacher you’ve ever had, check your work. The exam is most likely not going to be as hard as you think it will be, so take a deep breath, pick up your pencil, and get to work.

Fifthly and finally, breathe and repeat the process until exam week is over. You’ll probably eat more chocolate than recommended and you will drink more coffee than ever before (while reaping the unexpected benefits and consequences of chugging your fifth cup in 3 hours), but you know what? You’ll survive. Exam week is just another week at Country Day, only you get to wear sweatpants and the tests are a little longer. Just power through those five days and before you know it. you’re free to live a carefree life for the next 17 days until you have to come back and do it all over again.

So, from me to you, good luck on exams. And remember: stay organized, stay focused, and stay awake.